Sunday, May 9, 2010

MY DOG

I don't have one.  A dog, that is.  Pancho is my dog.  He's been in our lives for 10 1/2 years.  He is the best pet we ever adopted. And we've had a few!  He was found behind a gas station by a co-worker's daughter.  I declined the offer of adoption in May of that year.  THEN, I met him again a few months later in August, after he had his name and his personality, and we bonded instantly.  His foster mom had taken excellent care of him!

For 10 years, he has been our faithful, sees-all, likes-the-litterbox-spotless, has-too-much-fur, companion, diabetes and all.  He sits, patiently, every morning and evening, for his insulin injections.  Never complains.  Amazing.

Over the past year our family has had, and continues to have, some stuff to deal with.  Pancho, however, has been the thing that loves ME every single day,  no matter what.  Gives me a wet nose to the cheek, a furry ass in the face, sleeps in every place that keeps me from turning over at night.  He loves me and knows that he needs to stay close, always.

He also likes to sleep on the ottoman next to Husband's chair.  Pancho keeps an eye on everything.

I'm able to work a lot from home right now, thanks to my supportive "bosses".  Pancho knows I need support also.  This is his usual position when he hears me crank up the laptop and get into "work" mode.


I've said it before.  There's just something in this animal.  He has some inner "stuff" that was meant for us.  There's an old soul behind those eyes.  He melts my heart.  I know that he was given to us at the right time in our lives, maybe to help us through what we were going to be going though down the road.

He makes such a difference in our lives.

I get a tear in my eyes every time I read over this.  Sorry to be sappy.

I don't know how anyone lives without pets.  I know we couldn't.

1 comment:

tfiskers said...

got a tear in my eye too. i want to meet him.